Hunter National Training Scheme
DATE STILL TO BE CONFIRMED - register interest if keen
The Hunter National Training Scheme (HUNTS) course is delivered by The Southern Lakes New Zealand Deerstalkers Association instructors and is designed to introduce new hunters to the skills needed to hunt below the snowline.
Experienced hunters may find value in some sections of the course. A Firearms licence is not necessary. This is ideal for anyone wishing to learn about hunting.
- Essential bush skills
- River safety
- Firearm safety in a hunting context
- Practical shooting and hunting ballistics
- Hunting techniques
- Species knowledge
- Game utilization (skinning, butchering, etc)
Participants must have a reasonable level of physical fitness and access to personal tramping equipment.
Cost per person $450.00 (Incl GST),
- HUNTS Manual
- Hunting trip travel & accommodation (food not included)
Saturday & Sunday (all day)
Start time will depend on numbers - either 8am or noon
At Frankton Fire station* (please park on road not in the fire station)
Course outlined and objectives
- Fill in applications etc
- Module 1 ; Ethical and environmental responsibilities.
- Module 2 ; Game animal species, specific to our area, where to hunt and find.(DOC map and permit)
- Module 3 ; Map use, GPS, Compass.
Module 4 ; Firearms selection/ Types/calibres/safety
Module 5; Hunting and shooting techniques.
Module 6 ; Meat/ Skins/ Trophies ( DS )
Module 7 ; Equipment and food
Module 8 ; Bushcraft ( DVD)
Module 9 ; Survival/ Trip planning/ risk management. Possible river safety course on the Sunday (Weather dependant)
Meet at Grey St Car park opposite Ale House/Video Ezy.
- Full day using a range of different firearms
- Firearms safety
- Correcting sights/sighting in
- Use of scopes/open sights
- Firearms maintenance/cleaning
BBQ lunch – Will supply BBQ/food. Bring Snacks/ drinks etc and a Chair
Butchery Session ( all going well) hopefully we will get a deer to do this with.
Bring your own lunch/snacks/drinks
Perhaps only 1/2 day if all goes well.
Meet at the pre arranged accommodation 7pm (about 1 hour from Queenstown)
Meet with all your gear—we will let you know what you will need to bring.
Hunt all day ,some bushcraft/ navigation.
River safety/ River crossing exercise, You WILL get wet!
You will be invited along to the club meeting on successful completion of your course and presented with a certificate