Who this is for
This is aimed at NZDA members of all skill level - we try and team new hunters with experienced members and is a great opportunity to meet other members of the club.
The basic plan is to meet at Unwin lodge on the way to Mt Cook on the Friday night, hunt on Saturday and leave Sunday am.
Once we have confirmed numbers, we can send the member list out and car pool options will be available
There will be a cost for the 2 nights accommodation and a contribution to hiring long range radios
Unwin Lodge accommodation
5355 Mount Cook Road (State Highway 80) , Aoraki Mount Cook National Park, 3km before Aoraki Mt Cook Village
We are meeting & staying in this lodge - it has hot showers, bunk beds, full kitchen facilities and a lounge area.
It is on the left as you drive into Mt Cook on the main and only road
Arrive Friday evening Unwin Lodge $40 pp per night - We will collect this in advance when you register
8:30 pm-ish Short 30 minute briefing on tahr hunting and equipment required and conditions expected to be encountered
9:00 Safety Briefing, Depending on the forecast, the weather will play a big factor in this.
9:40 Hunting groups and areas to be allocated
9:45 Chill and plan with your allocated hunting group.
As early a start as you like, the smart ones will be out the door fast. Tahr are active early and again just before sunset so take enough food and warm clothing to nap for a few hours on the hill before late afternoon/ early evening hunting. Bring head torches as it is likely you will be returning in the dark
Return to Unwin Saturday evening
Those super keen can head out again otherwise late breakfast, enjoy Mt Cook or go fishing in the canals and then return home
What to bring
- Sleeping bag & pillow (luxury car camping!)
- Food - there is a full backpacker style kitchen with fridges, so bring whatever you want to cook
- Beer - there is an opportunity to have a few on the Saturday night when you get back
- Cash for the accommodation if you have not paid and are joining last minute 2 x $40pn = $80 (Note - no eftpos facilites)
- Rifle and ammo (if you need to borrow a rifle - let us know)
- Binos and range finder if you have them (bring spares for the newbies coming if you have some)
- Hunting clothes - A more detailed list will come out nearer the time
- Emergency gear (first aid, emergency beacon if you have one)
- Toiletries and towel (there are showers)
We will bring radios and PLBs but if you have your own that is great
We normally try and car pool - this list will go out nearer the time
NB There is VERY limited cover at the lodge so you may be out of coverage most of the weekend however if family need to contact you in a hurry the lodge will be able to pass a message on
You will need to be a fully paid up NZDA member to attend this weekend. It is likely we will share some spaces with the Upper Clutha Branch.
Should Covid Levels change and the trip is cancelled, we will refund any money paid .
Please note the trip will still go ahead if rain is forecast as often the weather clears enough to get out and hunt at some point. Delicate soft types not wanting to get wet will not be refunded unless the weather is a safety issue.